The name was changed to University of Mansoura in 1973. It is considered the sixth in order of establishment among the thirteen Universities of the Republic. The University campus covering about 300 acres, lies in the South West of the city of Mansoura. It comprises faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Engineering, Agriculture, Commerce, Law, Science, Education, Nursing and Computer & Information. It also comprises some servicing units, like General Management of Student's Patronage with its vast courts and buildings, University Hostels, University Hospitals, Specialized Medical Centers, and most of the autonomous units that serve the University and the Community.
The Faculty of Medicine was founded in 1962 as a branch of Cairo University. A presidential decree declared the establishment of East Delta University in 1972.
The complex for student services is now under construction. It will include a commercial center, modern kitchens, social club, libraries and restaurants for students, staff members and employees. It will also include a modern hospital for students.
The faculties of Veterinary Medicine, Physical Education and Arts are off campus, with the former on Ahmed Maher street and the other on the extension. In Addition, in Damietta city, there are faculties of Science and Education, a branch of the Faculty of Commerce and classes of the faculties of Arts and Agriculture.
This year, 81600 undergraduate and an average of 5000 postgraduate students are enrolled in the different faculties. About 8000 students graduate each year from the University. As well as 1300 postgraduate students obtain their diplomas, masters and doctorate degrees.
Academic services are rendered by about 2000 staff members and 1000 demonstrators, and assistant lecturers. Administrative, financial and technical services are offered by over 11000 employees and workers amongst them 4000 in medical field.
Since the foundation of the University in 1973 the Presidents of the University are as follows:
Prof. Dr./ Abd El-Menem El-Saeed El-Badrawy from 1973 to 1978.
Prof. Dr./ Shafiek Ibrahim Balbaa from 1978 to 1980.
Prof. Dr./ Yehia Ahmed Masoud from 1980 to 1983.
Prof. Dr./ Kamal El-Din Kamel Ahmed from 1983 to 1987.
Prof. Dr./ Abd El-Fatah Mohamed Hassan from 1987 to 1990.
Prof. Dr./ Mohamed Hussein Emarah from 1990 to 1994.
Prof. Dr./ Ahmed Amin Hamza from August, 4th. 1994 to 2001.
Prof. Dr. Yehia Hussein Ebied, from August, 2001 to 2003.
Prof. Dr. Ahmed Gamal El Din Moussa from August, 2003 to August 2004.
Prof. Dr. Prof. Magdy Abou Rayan from August, 2004 to present.
The University provides comfortable accommodation , with slight fees , for students from outside Dakahlia governorate. The hostel for males lies in the University campus serving about 2100 students. The hostel for females lies partly in the campus and partly outside the campus serving about 2300 students, (1600 within and 700 outside the campus. In addition to accommodation, the hostel provides many sportive, cultural, artistic and social activities. It also provides travels, camping and public service activities. A Sauna and a physical fitness unit were also established. The hostel has a laundry and a consumption association to serve students and employees.
In each faculty there is a modern library with specialized books and periodicals, which are always up-dated to cope with learners' needs.
Exchanging publications with different scientific associations as well as presents offered by other libraries constitute an important corner in the faculties' libraries as well as the central library. The libraries contain over 500000 Arabic and foreign books, beside 300000 books as presents. A million and 300000 Egyptian pound is specified every year to buy new books and periodicals.
Students' Service Complex
To promote the role of the university in providing services for students, staff members and employees, a magnificent complex was established on an area covering more than 4500 sq.m. in the university campus. This complex provides locations for post office, phones, fax, telex, passport unit, stationary and scientific tools. Cultural, social and medical services are also rendered by this complex.
The complex consists of four floors, the ground floor involves a supermarket, the main kitchen, electric generators, stores, loading board and three fountains. The first floor covering a space of 3400 sq. m. comprises restaurants for students and staff members, and administering nutritions and serving, rooms for electricity generation. The second floor covering a space of 2600 sq. m. involves a hospital, clinics and the university hostel management departments. The management of the university students hostel occupies 800 sq. m. on the same floor. The third floor comprises laboratories, blood bank and rooms dedicated for operations, recovery, intensive care and patients. The hospital includes 68 beds and is built on 3400 sq.m.
The University of Mansoura and Community Service
The University of Mansoura is unique for its autonomous units that serve the community and environment development. The University didn't discard its vital role in giving consultative and applied services in medical, agriculture, law, engineering and training fields which are based on scientific foundations. That's why the university contains 56 autonomous units in these fields. Besides, It has an active participation in various research programs. It provides experiences and funds to achieve its leading role in spreading science and knowledge all over the Delta region. Scientific meetings and conferences which are frequently held by the university contribute in solving community vital problems.